The 2017 IU Executive Development Program will be held on
April 9-12, 2017.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR THE 2017 PROGRAM.
What is IU EDP?
For 50 years the Indiana University Executive Development Program has helped park and recreation professionals at the local, state and national level who are in front line, management, and leadership positions build and strengthen the fundamental skills needed to manage and lead in a public and non-profit setting.
IU EDP is organized around a two year curriculum focusing on leadership and management skill development. To continually offer cutting edge education opportunities, the curriculum is reviewed annually by the IU EDP board of Trustees who are past program graduates.
IU EDP sessions are longer than many similar continuing education programs. Most class lengths are 3.25 hours. This longer class period allows for an in-depth discussion of a particular topic and for greater sharing among participants. Over 17.5 hours of professional instruction!
2017 Theme: The 50th Anniversary of IU EDP
Join us in celebrating 50 years of Indiana University’s Executive Development Program. Alumni and former Board Members will participate in the celebration by not only sharing changes that have occurred within the field of parks and recreation but they will also be playing a role as mentors to 2017 EDP participants. Our IU EDP graduates have held important positions locally and nationally and have been change agents and innovators within the profession.
2017 EDP Alumni Celebration: Welcome Back to the 50th Anniversary of IU EDP:
Graduates and former IU EDP Board members will join the year one and year two classes in celebrating 50 years of IU EDP. Alumni can earn .6 CEUS during the 2017 program by registering for the 50th Anniversary Alumni Option of EDP. Alumni will have the opportunity to attend Sunday and Monday for just $160. The 50th Anniversary Alumni Option is two days of EDP which includes the Sunday opening session, the Sunday dinner/social and Monday combined participant sessions. Sign up to reconnect and network with park and recreation professionals while learning something new. For details contact Julie Knapp, email@example.com.
The Campus of Indiana University
IU EDP is located on the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. Bloomington is just one hour south of Indianapolis and is in close proximity to major metropolitan areas such as Chicago, St. Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. Air transportation is available through the Indianapolis airport which is serviced by several major carriers. An airport shuttle service is available from the Indianapolis airport to Indiana University via Go Express Travel. Call 800-589-6004 for more information.
The 2017 IU EDP will be held in the Indiana Memorial Union Hotel and Conference Center. The Indiana Memorial Union is the heart of the IU campus. This campus centerpiece is conveniently located next to IU attractions and is within walking distance to over 20 restaurants and downtown shopping.
What makes IU EDP unique?
- IU EDP is the original Executive Development Program dating back to 1967 and it has established a solid commitment to the profession, and has a reputation for excellence in the field of parks and recreation.
- IU EDP instructors come from all over the country to bring a fresh perspective to participants. All instructors have one thing in common- many years of experience in the parks and recreation profession.
- IU EDP believes that class size has a direct impact on learning, so classes are held to a maximum size of 40 people.
- One of the important tenants of IU EDP is the building of lasting relationships among participants. Networking opportunities are a priority.
- Over 1,600 professionals have completed the IU EDP program.
- Finally, we commit ourselves to YOU, the park and recreation professional, to help you become more effective in your career.
Who should attend IU EDP?
This program is for individuals who are in the parks and recreation profession at any level. The 2015 and 2016 classes included practitioners from:
- Municipal agencies and/or State Parks in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, New York, Iowa, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and Delaware
- Non-profit organizations, and
- Elected city officials
Individuals in management, leadership or board positions will benefit from IU EDP.
Out of Class Opportunities
A variety of out of class opportunities are offered during EDP such as tours of IU sport facilities, Brown County State Park evening tour and dinner, canoeing on Griffy Lake. These activities will provide participants with an opportunity to get to know classmates in a non-structured atmosphere. Informal optional group dinner outings will also be scheduled for Monday and Tuesday night.
IU EDP Scholarships
Six 50% tuition scholarships are available for the 2017 program. Contact 812-856-1068 for an application and criteria (deadline is 12/15/2016).
IU EDP features a resource room which includes brochures, promotional materials, business plans, strategic plans and anything else from participants' agencies. Bring your agency's information to share with others.